nl | fr | en | de

One-Off
Bentley 4 1/4 Litre Vesters & Neirinck,  Coachbuilt Drop head Coupe

 

This chassis was produced in February 1937 and shipped on 12-3-'37 to Ets. Pisart, 52 Boulevard de Waterloo in Brussels  (now domicile of Polo by Ralph Lauren) for showroom use.  A gentleman M. Pater bought the rolling chassis and commissioned a 3 position drop head coupe body at Vesters et Neirinck, 105 Rue  du Foyer de Schaerbeekois, a 15 minutes’ walk from his house at 91 rue Metsys in Schaerbeek (Brussels). From 8-19 January B137JY was Vesters & Neirincks' show car  at the 1938 Brussels motor show (29st Salon de l'automobile et du cycli). M. Pater took delivery of the car on, 4  May 1938.
The chassis card describes the following features delivered with the rolling chassis, one Ace Cornercroft spare wheel cover and 5 wheel discs, a speedometer in kilometers and a petrol gauge in litres. 
All lamps such as headlamps, fog lamps and taillights are from the Belgium manufacture,  Willocq Bottin. All the above features are still on the car at present. 

The famous Bentley coupe from collector Claude Lang was also built at Vesters & Neirinck in the same months, which is visible in several details. Vesters & Neirinck were one of the top coachbuilders on the  Bentley chassis before the war, most of them are still in existence due to their high value and wonderfully crafted design. 

How B137 JY has survived WWII has to be sorted out, but the fact is that the car turned up in the USA in 1964 at Keith M. Merrick of Sibley Ohio. Then moved in 1967 to Kansas City, where it stayed until it was auctioned in September 1987, where after it came via Classic automobiles to the hands of Anthony Gervis from Stourport on Severn. As the engine was in poor condition when collected in London, mr. Gervis  decided to bring the car to Haines and Hall where they then decided to restore the whole car. After spending much money and effort from May 1988 until August 1990 including an engine, brakes and electricity overhaul. mr. Gervis then decided to bring his car in 1991 to Ian Pinder from RR&B in Bromsgrove, very near to where he lives down. They carried out an extensive body-off retrim for £69.000 finished in October 1991. At that stage the odometer read 57.645 kilometers. The present owner bought the car in May 1999 the odometer read 62.646 kilometers. After the first kilometers he asked RR&B to fit an overdrive. The car has been used for some major trips through Europe and even 5000 kilometers through South Africa in 2003 organized by John White from the Bentley drivers club. The car has been seen many times at the annual rallies from the Bentley Drivers Club as well as the Rolls Royce Owners Club.  B137 JY won in total  14 trophies, in the beginning second in class but the owner learned fast and was aiming to be first in class resulting several times in 96 points. Even achieving a “best in show” (the P & A Wood trophy)   the last trophies were in June 2015 at the RREC annual rally at Burghley house, where he was awarded with “most elegant” and “first in class”  again with 96 points! 

All big and small factory fitted tools are complete and with the car. 
As the overdrive made a strange noise and the professionals claimed that this kind of overdrive did not properly fit under a Derby Bentley the overdrive has been changed by an high ratio axle (3.64:1) in 2011.  All maintenance since 2003 has been carried by Ken Lea. The car is in top condition and ready to drive or show.

More photos and documents upon request,

Priced at 575.000 euros