In 1925, Lagonda decided to steer the company on a slightly different route. Lagonda was known for very nimble and light cars but decided to start heading to more luxurious and sporting models. The Lagonda 14/60 was introduced in 1925 and it was the first model of Lagonda where the gearbox wasn’t bolted to the engine. That inline four cylinder engine, 2 Litres in total, was designed by Arthur Davidson. The engine included hemispherical combustion chambers, a double camshafts and would give you a respectable 60BHP. In 1927, the model was dropped after the 2Litre Speed model was introduced and proved to be more powerful and faster.
In the meantime, in 1926, Arthur was asked to design a 6-cylinder engine for the new Lagonda 16/65. The engine was the first 6-cylinder Lagonda engine and started life as a 2.692cc engine. Later, it was enlarged multiple times to create the 3l Lagonda and after it was bored to 3.619cc, the 3.5litre Lagonda engine was born.
This 3.619cc engine was available with the ‘short chassis’ (10’ 3” wheelbase) or longer chassis and was introduced as the M35 model in 1934. On the short chassis, The M35R or Rapide was well capable doing 90MPH with the Tourer coachwork. Not only did the car go very well, the braking power of the larger drum brakes could stop the car very quickly, even compared to modern standards. Only in 1935, production stopped and Lagonda went for the Meadows 4.5L unit to fit in the new M45 models. Numbers vary between 65 and 81 cars produced but certainly not many 3.5Litres rolled out of the factory. ‘The Motor’ tested the car in January 1935 and their opinion was very clear: ‘it would be difficult to select a more appropriate vehicle for fast and lengthy journeys’.
The car we can offer is one with those rare specifications. It is a M35 on the shorter Rapide chassis and with its original and quite rare T9 Tourer body. Only registered on the 19th of August 1934, the car was the 2nd or 3rd car built. Chassis N° Z11162 and Engine N° 3180 prove this car is still matching numbers. Along with the original Lagonda Z-type gearbox, the car is very very original.
Dennis Stratton was recorded as owner in 1957 who sold the car to Johnny White in 1962. Mr. White kept de car in his ownership for many many years until he past away and the car was inherited by is Stepson. He sold the car in 2009 to the current owner who slowly restored the car to what it is today, a wonderful drivers car with all the mechanics and bodywork restored.
Johnny White was an ex employee of the old Lagonda Company who then owned a Lagonda Dealership in Bourne End from the 1930’s. This car was the last of several Lagonda’s that he owned over the years and we know that it was used in the film Doctor in the House in 1954.
The car was partly restored by Peter Whenman before the current owner bought it and during his ownership, it had a rewire, a full bodywork restoration including woodwork, new fueltank, new wheel bearings, leaf springs refurbished, rear axle refurbished with the longer ratio from the M45, a complete restored gearbox with all new gears and a complete engine rebuilt tuning it with the new exhaust to 160BHP.
Everything works perfectly and it is ready for many rallies to come! The sweeping lines of the T9 Tourer body makes this car a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Quite fast without losing the elegance.
Please come buy to test the car, you will be very impressed!
More photos will follow shortly
More info and photos upon request
Priced at 220.000 euros